Yesterday was not a typical day of this journey, yesterday was hard and full of some sorrow.
Six months ago to the day, a friend of mine, committed suicide. His name was Nick Trebonik, and when I really knew him in my senior, he was so full of life. It is heartbreaking to see a young life taken away when you know that the potential inside of them was so very great. He was so happy-go-lucky, goofy, and just a lovable guy. Also, yesterday was National Suicide Prevention Day and in honor of him, I wore tie-dye (Nick loved his tie-dye!) I wore the bracelet students from my high school made in his honor, and I put the most important thing on last. I wrote the word, "love," on my arms.
The organization, To Write Love on Her Arms, is a suicide prevention group who shares hope for everyone and anyone. It truly is a wonderful cause, and has touched millions of lives. I wrote the word, "love," on my arm in hopes that someone would see it, and I can let them know how precious their life is.
Yesterday was one of the hardest days of my life. Six months to date since Nick's suicide, National Suicide Prevention Day, and I found this picture:
This was taken at Young Life Camp two years ago. For some reason the whole week, Nick would come up to me and just shimmy. It was hilarious, and we did that probably too much. But it's how I remember him. When I went to school, I lost touch with this dear friend. I know that even before he took his life, this Nick was still there. The loving, warm, kind, and genuine guy that I knew. Not a day goes by where I don't think about him a little, but yesterday was the worst. I did not know I had this picture, and when I found it...let's just say it took me awhile to stop crying and to finally feel my breathing level out. But what a neat way to protect others' lives. For me to honor him, and to tell the world how loved they are, how much they matter, and that their life has a unique purpose.
And I did not think about the fact that I wasn't wearing make-up. Not even once. I thought about the lives that are hurting so bad each and every day, and no one even knows. The people who are depressed, strung-out, and just left to dry.
This is for you, and for my friend Nick. You are so dearly loved, cherished, adored, cared for, enamored, pursued, fought for. Please know that.
With Love on My Arms,
Justina

No comments:
Post a Comment